Synonymns For Deacon
doulos - therapon - pais - oiketes - huperetes
Bond Slave - "doulos"
1401 doulos (doo'-los)
Man Servant - "pais"
from 1210; to bind or fasten
AV-servant 120, bond 6, bondman 1; 127
1) a slave, bondman, man of servile condition
1a) a slave
1b) metaph., one who gives himself up to another's will those whose service is used by Christ in extending and advancing his cause among men
1c) devoted to another to the disregard of one's own interests
2) a servant, attendant
"doulos" is the usual word for slave, one who is permanently in
servitude, in subjection to a master.
- Matthew 8:9 For I am a man under authority, having soldiers under me: and I say to this man, Go, and he goeth; and to another, Come, and he cometh; and to my servant <1401>, Do this, and he doeth it.
- Matthew 10:24 The disciple is not above his master, nor the servant <1401> above his lord.
- Matthew 10:25 It is enough for the disciple that he be as his master, and the servant <1401> as his lord. If they have called the master of the house Beelzebub, how much more shall they call them of his household?
- Matthew 13:27 So the servants <1401> of the householder came and said unto him, Sir, didst not thou sow good seed in thy field? from whence then hath it tares?
- Matthew 18:23 Therefore is the kingdom of heaven likened unto a certain king, which would take account of his servants <1401>.
- Matthew 20:27 And whosoever will be chief among you, let him be your servant <1401>:
- Matthew 21:34 And when the time of the fruit drew near, he sent his servants <1401> to the husbandmen, that they might receive the fruits of it.
- Matthew 22:3 And sent forth his servants <1401> to call them that were bidden to the wedding: and they would not come.
- Matthew 24:45 Who then is a faithful and wise servant <1401>, whom his lord hath made ruler over his household, to give them meat in due season?
- Matthew 25:14 For the kingdom of heaven is as a man travelling into a far country, who called his own servants <1401>, and delivered unto them his goods.
- Matthew 26:51 And, behold, one of them which were with Jesus stretched out his hand, and drew his sword, and struck a servant <1401> of the high priest's, and smote off his ear.
- Mark 10:44 And whosoever of you will be the chiefest, shall be servant <1401> of all.
- Mark 12:2 And at the season he sent to the husbandmen a servant <1401>, that he might receive from the husbandmen of the fruit of the vineyard.
- Mark 13:34 For the Son of man is as a man taking a far journey, who left his house, and gave authority to his servants <1401>, and to every man his work, and commanded the porter to watch.
- Mark 14:47 And one of them that stood by drew a sword, and smote a servant <1401> of the high priest, and cut off his ear.
- Luke 2:29 Lord, now lettest thou thy servant <1401> depart in peace, according to thy word:
- Luke 7:2 And a certain centurion's servant <1401>, who was dear unto him, was sick, and ready to die.
- Luke 7:8 For I also am a man set under authority, having under me soldiers, and I say unto one, Go, and he goeth; and to another, Come, and he cometh; and to my servant <1401>, Do this, and he doeth it.
- Luke 12:37 Blessed are those servants <1401>, whom the lord when he cometh shall find watching: verily I say unto you, that he shall gird himself, and make them to sit down to meat, and will come forth and serve them.
- Luke 14:17 And sent his servant <1401> at supper time to say to them that were bidden, Come; for all things are now ready.
- Luke 15:22 But the father said to his servants <1401>, Bring forth the best robe, and put it on him; and put a ring on his hand, and shoes on his feet:
- Luke 17:7 But which of you, having a servant <1401> plowing or feeding cattle, will say unto him by and by, when he is come from the field, Go and sit down to meat?
- Luke 19:13 And he called his ten servants <1401>, and delivered them ten pounds, and said unto them, Occupy till I come.
- Luke 20:10 And at the season he sent a servant <1401> to the husbandmen, that they should give him of the fruit of the vineyard: but the husbandmen beat him, and sent him away empty.
- Luke 22:50 And one of them smote the servant <1401> of the high priest, and cut off his right ear.
- John 4:51 And as he was now going down, his servants <1401> met him, and told him, saying, Thy son liveth.
- John 8:34 Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant <1401> of sin.
- John 8:35 And the servant <1401> abideth not in the house for ever: but the Son abideth ever.
- John 13:16 Verily, verily, I say unto you, The servant <1401> is not greater than his lord; neither he that is sent greater than he that sent him.
- John 15:15 Henceforth I call you not servants <1401>; for the servant <1401> knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you.
- John 15:20 Remember the word that I said unto you, The servant <1401> is not greater than his lord. If they have persecuted me, they will also persecute you; if they have kept my saying, they will keep yours also.
- John 18:10 Then Simon Peter having a sword drew it, and smote the high priest's servant <1401>, and cut off his right ear. The servant's <1401> name was Malchus.
- John 18:18 And the servants <1401> and officers stood there, who had made a fire of coals; for it was cold: and they warmed themselves: and Peter stood with them, and warmed himself.
- John 18:26 One of the servants <1401> of the high priest, being his kinsman whose ear Peter cut off, saith, Did not I see thee in the garden with him?
- Acts 2:18 And on my servants <1401> and on my handmaidens I will pour out in those days of my Spirit; and they shall prophesy:
- Acts 4:29 And now, Lord, behold their threatenings: and grant unto thy servants <1401>, that with all boldness they may speak thy word,
- Acts 16:17 The same followed Paul and us, and cried, saying, These men are the servants <1401> of the most high God, which shew unto us the way of salvation.
- Romans 1:1 Paul, a servant <1401> of Jesus Christ, called to be an apostle, separated unto the gospel of God,
- Romans 6:16 Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants <1401> to obey, his servants <1401> ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?
PAIS = man or maid servant<
Attendant - "therapon"
3816 pais (paheece) perhaps from 3817
AV-servant 10, child 7, son (Christ) 2, son 1, manservant 1, maid 1, maiden 1, young man 1; Total times used: 24
1) a child, boy or girl, son
1a) infants, children
2) servant, slave
2a) an attendant, servant, spec. a king's attendant, minister
- Matthew 8:6 And saying, Lord, my servant <3816> lieth at home sick of the palsy, grievously tormented.
- Matthew 8:8 The centurion answered and said, Lord, I am not worthy that thou shouldest come under my roof: but speak the word only, and my servant <3816> shall be healed.
- Matthew 8:13 And Jesus said unto the centurion, Go thy way; and as thou hast believed, so be it done unto thee. And his servant <3816> was healed in the selfsame hour.
- Matthew 12:18 Behold my servant <3816>, whom I have chosen; my beloved, in whom my soul is well pleased: I will put my spirit upon him, and he shall shew judgment to the Gentiles.
- Matthew 14:2 And said unto his servants <3816>, This is John the Baptist; he is risen from the dead; and therefore mighty works do shew forth themselves in him.
- Matthew 17:18 And Jesus rebuked the devil; and he departed out of him: and the child <3816> was cured from that very hour.
- Matthew 21:15 And when the chief priests and scribes saw the wonderful things that he did, and the children <3816> crying in the temple, and saying, Hosanna to the Son of David; they were sore displeased,
- Luke 1:69 And hath raised up an horn of salvation for us in the house of his servant <3816> David;
- Luke 2:43 And when they had fulfilled the days, as they returned, the child <3816> Jesus tarried behind in Jerusalem; and Joseph and his mother knew not of it.
- Luke 7:7 Wherefore neither thought I myself worthy to come unto thee: but say in a word, and my servant <3816> shall be healed.
- Luke 8:51 And when he came into the house, he suffered no man to go in, save Peter, and James, and John, and the father and the mother of the maiden <3816>.
- Luke 8:54 And he put them all out, and took her by the hand, and called, saying, Maid <3816>, arise.
- John 4:51 And as he was now going down, his servants met him, and told him, saying, Thy son <3816> liveth.
- Acts 3:26 Unto you first God, having raised up his Son <3816> Jesus, sent him to bless you, in turning away every one of you from his iniquities.
- Acts 4:27 For of a truth against thy holy child <3816> Jesus, whom thou hast anointed, both Herod, and Pontius Pilate, with the Gentiles, and the people of Israel, were gathered together,
- Acts 4:30 By stretching forth thine hand to heal; and that signs and wonders may be done by the name of thy holy child <3816> Jesus.
- Acts 20:12 And they brought the young man <3816> alive, and were not a little comforted.
2324 therapon (ther-ap'-ohn)
Waiter - "diakonos"
apparently a participle from an otherwise obsolete derivative of the base of 2330;
AV-servant 1; 1
1) an attendant, servant: of God
1a) spoken of Moses discharging the duties committed to him by God
"therapon" is simply one who renders service at a particular time,
sometimes as a slave, more often as a freeman, who renders voluntary
- Hebrews 3:5 And Moses verily was faithful in all his house, as a servant <2324>, for a testimony of those things which were to be spoken after;
1249 diakonos (dee-ak'-on-os)
House Servant - "oiketes"
probably from an obsolete diako (to run on errands, cf 1377);
AV-minister 20, servant 8, deacon 3; 31
1) one who executes the commands of another, esp. of a master, a servant, attendant, minister
1a) the servant of a king
1b) a deacon, one who, by virtue of the office assigned to him by the church, cares for the poor and has charge of and distributes the money collected for their use
1c) a waiter, one who serves food and drink
3610 oiketes (oy-ket'-ace)
Under-Rower - "huperetes"
from 3611; (to dwell)
AV-servant 4, household servant 1; 5
1) one who lives in the same house as another, spoken of all who are under the authority of one and the same householder
1a) a servant, a domestic
- Luke 16:13 No servant <3610> can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.
- Acts 10:7 And when the angel which spake unto Cornelius was departed, he called two of his household servants <3610>, and a devout soldier of them that waited on him continually;
- Romans 14:4 Who art thou that judgest another man's servant <3610>? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand.
- Philemon 1:25 The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit. Amen. <.>>
- 1 Peter 2:18 Servants <3610>, be subject to your masters with all fear; not only to the good and gentle, but also to the froward.
5257 huperetes (hoop-ay-ret'-ace)
from 5259 and a derivative of eresso (to row);
AV-officer 11, minister 5, servant 4; 20
1a) an underrower, subordinate rower
1b) any one who serves with hands: a servant
1b1) in the NT of the officers and attendants of magistrates as--of the officer who executes penalties
1b2) of the attendants of a king, servants, retinue, the soldiers of a king, of the attendant of a synagogue
1b3) of any one ministering or rendering service
1c) any one who aids another in any work
1c1) an assistant
1c2) of the preacher of the gospel
- Matthew 5:25 Agree with thine adversary quickly, whiles thou art in the way with him; lest at any time the adversary deliver thee to the judge, and the judge deliver thee to the officer <5257>, and thou be cast into prison.
- Matthew 26:58 But Peter followed him afar off unto the high priest's palace, and went in, and sat with the servants <5257>, to see the end.
- Luke 4:20 And he closed the book, and he gave it again to the minister <5257>, and sat down. And the eyes of all them that were in the synagogue were fastened on him.
- John 7:32 The Pharisees heard that the people murmured such things concerning him; and the Pharisees and the chief priests sent officers <5257> to take him.
- 1 Corinthians 4:1 Let a man so account of us, as of the ministers <5257> of Christ, and stewards of the mysteries of God.