Elders and Anointing for Healing
The Oil of Anointing
Is any among you afflicted? let him pray. Is any merry? let him sing psalms. 14 Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord: 15 And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him. 16 Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much. 17 Elias was a man subject to like passions as we are, and he prayed earnestly that it might not rain: and it rained not on the earth by the space of three years and six months. 18 And he prayed again, and the heaven gave rain, and the earth brought forth her fruit.
- James 5:13-16
The Means - "the call"
- Obedience - Naaman the leper
- Insistence - Blind Bartemaus’ - (importunity = unashamed of desperation)
- Reach out - Woman with issue of blood reached out and touched the hem
The Mode - "anoint with oil, in name of Lord."
The Manner -"prayer of faith…confess your faults … fervent prayer."
- Anointing oil - Mark 6:13
- Oil of blessing - Ps 92:10
- Oil of refreshing - Luke 7:46
- Oil of healing - Luke 10:34
- Oil of gladness - Is 61:3
The Men - "elders...men of faith...righteous men."
- Let him (who is sick) call - responsibility
- Pray over him - you are spiritual heads over him (watch for his soul)
- Pray prayer of faith - (James 1:5-7) "Let not that man think he shall receive anything from the Lord." - prayer of expectation that God will do.
- Confess your faults one to another - mutual weakness
- Fervent prayer of Elijah -
- Their faith - Matthew 17:18-20
- Their authority - Matthew 10:8/ Luke 9:1-2
- Their discernment - Prov 11:14
- Their gifts - faith, word of wisdom, exhortation, word of knowledge 1 Cor 12:8-9